A good night’s sleep is what many of us look forward to at the end of the day. But for many, that is hard to come by. We have seen multiple cases where people have complained of sleep quality or even getting no sleep at all! Dr. Shyla Vahab explains in easy-to-understand words – your path to a good night’s sleep and a cure for insomnia.
What is insomnia? What are the symptoms of insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder in which you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. The condition can be short (acute) or can last a long time (chronic) and in many, it may also come and go.
Improper sleep habits have a huge negative impact on your life. It can cause unhappiness, ill health, emaciation, weakness, decreased sexual power, and can even affect your life span! Yes, sleeping less can even take years off your life!
People who sleep less are unhappy. Why? Because the mind becomes dull and the brain does not get sufficient rest. Loss of sleep causes your brain to expend so much energy; that it causes a massive strain on your nervous system.
What are the types of insomnia?
- Transient insomnia: Symptoms last less than a week
- Short term insomnia: Symptoms last between one to three weeks
- Chronic insomnia: Lasts longer than three weeks
Causes of insomnia
Poor sleeping habits, depression, anxiety, lack of exercise, chronic illness, medication, neurological problems, frequent intake of tea, coffee, and alcohol can all impact your sleep.
Symptoms of insomnia
Some people with insomnia complain of difficulty falling asleep or even waking up frequently during the night – the problem may begin with stress.
Insomnia symptoms that can impact your daily life are:
- Poor concentration and focus
- Difficulty with memory
- Impaired motor coordination, being uncoordinated
- Irritability and impaired social interaction
If a person does not get proper sleep at night, it produces symptoms like Delusion, Lassitude, Heaviness in the Head and Eyes, Eye Disease, Body Pain, Weakness, and Vata disorders.
Treatment Principle for Insomnia
In Ayurveda, treating and curing insomnia can be done in multiple ways depending on the person. Vata Hara Chikitsa, Madhura Rasa Guru Guna Oushadha Prayogam, and in Paittika Condition – Mridu Virechn treat insomnia.
Several Ayurvedic formulations are outlined in the classics; to help treat insomnia and help you sleep better.
Panchakarma Therapies mentioned below are used to treat insomnia along with the ayurvedic medicines mentioned.
- Thalam with Ksheerabala Taila with Panchagandha Choornam
- Shiro Pichu with Vatasani Taila, Brahmi Taila
- Shiro Dhara, Takra Dhara, Ksheera Dhara, Jala Dhara Vatasani Taila withKsheerabala Taila
- Abhyangam with Bala Dhatryadi Taila Ksheerabala
- Pada Abhyangam with Ksheerabala Taila, Dhanwantaram Taila
- Nasya with Anu Taila Ksheerabala Taila
Some tips and home remedies for insomnia
- Daily abhyanga and swedana with a warm shower
- Avoid excessive intake of tea or coffee, especially at night
- Have an early dinner
- Listening to pleasant music at night
- Intake of warm milk before going to bed
- Practice Sarvangasana, Shirshasana, Paschimottanasana
- Commit to regular exercise